by G. Jack Urso
|Title card shot from the show.
The Hot Hero Sandwich Project is an effort to historically document the innovative children’s television show, Hot Hero Sandwich, which ran from 1979-1980 on NBC and produced by Bruce and Carole Hart, both of whom helped develop material for the first season of Sesame Street. Bruce Hart, in fact, co-wrote the Sesame Street theme and Carole wrote some early episodes. Both Harts were involved with Marlo Thomas’ noted children's entertainment TV special Free to Be . . . You and Me (1972) and together wrote, with Bruce directing, actor/rocker Rex Smith’s 1979 film Sooner or Later (Smith also performed on episode 10 of Hot Hero Sandwich).
Often described as Saturday Night Live for teens, the show was a mix of sketches, short films, animation, celebrity interviews, musical guests, and of course the awesome in-house Hot Hero Band. Despite running for just eleven episodes, the show struck a nerve with its fans who, for the past four decades, have quietly kept the show alive with social media and sharing the precious few clips still available from the show.
With the gracious assistance of some of the former members of the show, I have put together a behind-the-scenes look with interviews, the first complete episode guide, never before seen photos, video clips, and much more. Not just to document the show, but also to preserve it as a case study for those in education and entertainment looking for new ways of reaching a difficult demographic with positive and inspirational programming that addresses the issues teens deal with using multimedia integrated with a common theme.
Below is a list of the current articles detailing the show. More articles are coming so STAY TUNED!
Hot Hero Sandwich: A Historical Retrospective of the 1979-1980 Innovative Children’s Television Show
A Second Serving!
What’s the series about? Dig into these articles and interviews and find out!
- Hot Hero Sandwich: The Late 70s TV Teen Scene: Series retrospective — Start Here!
- Hot Hero Sandwich: A Second Serving! A Retrospective Interview with Writer Sherry Coben and Film Editor Patrick McMahon — Introduction
- A Second Serving! Part I: Origins
- A Second Serving! Part II: Production Notes and Broadcast History
- A Second Serving! Part III: Commercials, Demographics, and Music
A variety of posts on different aspects of the series.
- Hot Hero Sandwich 1980 Daytime Emmy Awards
- Hot Hero Sandwich Credits
- Hot Hero Sandwich Episode 3: Andy Breckman, “Tommy Two,” with the Hot Hero Band
- Hot Hero Sandwich Episode 3: Eddie Money, “You Can't Keep a Good Man Down”
- Hot Hero Sandwich Episode 6: Andy Breckman, “My Friend Bernie” with the Hot Hero Band
- Hot Hero Sandwich Episode 10: Scene-by-Scene
- Hot Hero Sandwich: Record World Article, Nov. 24, 1979
- Hot Hero Sandwich: TV Week Article, Nov. 4 — 10, 1979
Collections of related video segments from the series.
- Hot Hero Sandwich Clip Job! All Opening Credits
- Hot Hero Sandwich Clip Job! Animated Short Films — The Fantastic World of Jerry Lieberman
- Hot Hero Sandwich Clip Job! Captain Hero
- Hot Hero Sandwich Clip Job! Hot Hero Band Performances
- Hot Hero Sandwich Clip Job! The Music Performances
- Hot Hero Sandwich Clip Job! What In, What’s Out Segments
- Hot Hero Sandwich Clip Job! Ym and Ur, Alien Teen Social Satire
In Conversation With . . .
Interviews with key individuals providing a behind-the-scenes look at the series and the industry.
- In Conversation with Dr. Tom Cottle
- In Conversation with Talent Agent and Personal Manager Larry Weiss
On the Flip Side with the Hot Hero Band
Learn more about the guys behind the classic rock sound of the show!
- On the Flip Side! Hot Hero Band Interviews — Introduction
- On the Flip Side with Guitarist Richie Annunizato
- On the Flip Side with Bassist Robert Brissette
- On the Flip Side with Drummer Mike Ratti
Off-Script with the Writers
Working closely with Bruce and Carole Hart, the writers were tasked with interpreting their vision for the teen audience.
- Off-Script with Writer Andy Breckman
- Off-Script with Writer Richard Camp
- Off-Script with Writer Marianne Meyer
Off- Stage with the Cast Members
These interviews with the actors lay out the low-down on our favorite characters and sketches and provide insight into the industry.
- Off-Stage with Cast Member Vicky Dawson
- Off-Stage with Cast Member Denny Dillon
- Off-Stage with Cast Member Michael Longfield (L. Michael Craig)
- Off-Stage with Cast Member Saundra McClain
- Off-Stage with Cast Member Nan-Lynn Nelson
- Off-Stage with Cast Member Paul O’Keefe
- Off-Stage with Cast Member Jarett Smithwrick
- Off-Stage with Cast Member Claudette Sutherland
These brief profiles turn the spotlight on those who worked behind the camera!
- Hot Hero Sandwich Central: Rare Hot Hero video clips, most of which haven't been seen since first broadcast!
Bookmark the project's web address: www.HotHeroSandwich.com.
For media and other inquiries, please email HotHeroSandwich@outlook.com.
● ● ●